Riggs County Park - Ripon

Ripon (Fond du Lac Cty)

First stop in my Road Trip from Saturday. Fond du Lac County's largest park in the system, it spans 300 acres. I wish I could say I traversed the entire park but it was more like 2/3rds.

This is a great park for birding. Well, I suppose any open prairie land is. My favorite picture was taken within the first half hour. On a grassy path, I approached a bend when a hawk (Northern Harrier according to my Flickr query) was startled into flight. What I didn't expect was to see it come back. It took three passes at me and was at times within 4 feet of tagging me, as I was frantically snapping away. Only three pics were passable. It was probably incredibly stupid of me to be standing there, but I seem to have the tenacity of the paparazzi when all that matters is getting the shot. Side note: based on the description on this site, the hawk has to be a harrier and I was too close to its nest. Originally I thought perhaps a cooper's hawk.

Aside from a number of birds, frogs, garter snakes, curious gophers, and monarch butterflies, there were zero humans. Pondering this I often ask whether I should be out by myself. This is a bit of a problem for me. Hiking is somewhat of a spiritual pilgrimage. I try to access all of my senses and I find it difficult to to really enjoy the moment when others are with me, mainly because my concern is for their experience. This probably isn't a fair assessment, since my hiking partners tend to be one of my kids, and are not always a willing participant.

At one point, I realized that I was probably dehydrated and sunburnt when I took a short break under a shady copse and took stock of my situation. My car was a short hike away, but the shortest route was through marshland, which would've been hell on my shoes. No, I stuck to the grassy trails until I could find some drier prairie land and made my way across. Needless to say, once I arrived at the car, I was more than ready to head to my next destination: Ledge Homestead and Rienzi Cemetery.

Wheretofind: For a map, go to Fond du Lac Cty's website and print off the map page. Forget about Googling it, it's not there. Just west of Ripon on Hwy 23. At Douglas turn north and the park entrance to the right is the bridge with the Historic (yet empty)Tenant House. Second entrance is on Hwy 23, right across from that little beige motel. I came from that direction and completely missed it. The park entrance sign was placed at the trail head, not at the park entrance. Jeeeeez. UPDATE 04/15/2015 - Park has since been loaded onto Google Maps

Incidentally, the man made trail spans between the two entrances, and the rest of the trails are hastily mowed, one having white markers that lead to the observation desk, which is where I found this funny looking set of four hollow markers, which doesn't seem to lead anywhere. The plant growth are really sticking out of the top. If these are trees, they weren't doing very well.

What to expect: Wide Open Spaces. Creature and vermin. Grasses and weeds. This is typical of the new conservation parks that have been cropping up as of late.

No comments: