Hoping to develop a hiking group - any interest?

On a whim, I posted a query on a few Wisc Flickr groups to see if a potential hiking/photography group could be developed. Thankfully, I received some responses.

So now I am throwing out another line to see who bites. It's like fly fishing for Wisconsinites. I have no real format decided upon, but I came to the conclusion that my kids won't always be around to be my hiking partner forever, and if I have a desire to share the places I go to, perhaps others do as well.

There are a lot of places I still have never gone to, but can't seem to get the family to actually want to go on a trip (to wherever), because they know my trips are with nature and they seem to have gotten their fill already.

For those who may be interested and are looking for what to expect with this kind of group (a reasonable request I believe), my vision for this kind of group will travel to a planned area and spend the afternoon walking around, snapping photos and enjoying the day. Afternoon could just as easily be mornings (I am a morning person, and oftentimes wake up at 5 am with an itch to go somewhere, anywhere).

Personally, I try to avoid schedules because I know that things should ebb and flow naturally, but I am aware that a timeframe is needed for most people.

Places on my wannagoto list right now are: Door County, Devil's Lake/Palfrey's Glen, Lake Geneva (Lake Path, Big Foot Beach area), Holy Hill/Glacier Blue Hills.

Places on my wannashare list are: Ridge Run Cty Park/Cedar Valley Retreat Center(Washington Cty), Horicon Ledge (Dodge Cty), Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve (Brown Cty).

*UPDATED 09/06/08*

Most people I have talked to about starting a hiking group agrees that a reasonable travel distance is 1-1.5 hours max.

What would really help me is to get an idea on where you want to go - since you can see where I've been :) -

I am thrilled to show off the places that I've been to and my only concern is to make the trip worthwhile and to always have a backup plan.

Would it make more sense to start a yahoo group on this? Obviously it would be moderated and approved memberships to avoid the spamalot that happens. Something worth pondering, I think....



** Updated 09/14/2008 **


An Appleton Flickr walk was scheduled for 09/14/2008 and that post can be found here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this sounds good. I have a preference for mornings, too. Would this be the kind of thing where I could just wear tennis shoes as opposed to hiking boots? - Kathleen.Bronson@yahoo.com

Sistereinstein said...

I think tennis shoes are sufficient. Next is to decide where to go and who is able to go along.

What is on your wheretog list?