Letterboxing

I have never heard of this before, but in reading up on it I realized that something of this nature had to exist before geocaching. The history of letterboxing begins in Dartmoor National Park, Devon, England approx 150 years ago, and it's only been since 1998 that America has been involved. The main supplies you need is a compass, logbook, pencil, and your own personal stamp and inkpad.


Letterboxing appeals to me because instead of writing your name/date in the caches' logbook, you use the letterbox stamp in your own logbook, as well as stamping the one within the cache. If you've never really read up on geocaching, there is a logbook and pencil, and you take with you the knowledge of a newfound cache but no souvenirs. What also appeals to me about letterboxing is the history, which begins with a gentleman leaving his card within a bottle on the shores of a pond in Dartmoor. This seems so much like something I would have done just for the sake of curiosity.

My fear was that since letterboxing had such a late start, that there would not be much available, at least in our state, but I should have known better. At the rate that fads travel in this great country I was pleased to find a plethora of drops in Wisconsin. 'Tis not a huge plethora, but enough to get a person started.

Just recently, in the year 2015, I finally decided to start this hobby and immediately regretted not starting this sooner. Most of the places I've traveled to for my Whereto blog entries have a letterbox cache hidden.  If they don't I really should put one in myself.

Gentle Reader, I entreat with the utmost sincerity that you must get started on this wonderful pastime. Just think of those who have traveled before, knowing you will find their personal stamp that could possibly be from 15+ years ago (see link for history).

Wheretogo:
Currently there are 2 American letterboxing sites, the original/registered North American site Letterboxing.org,  and Atlas Quest.com.  Sometimes the letterboxing locations are listed on both sites, both require registration before you can log your finds, but the Atlas Quest is the only one that allows comments (which is really helpful for when you think a cache has been moved or the instructions cannot be followed for some reason).

Whattoexpect:   These caches are often well packaged to withstand time and weather. CARE MUST BE TAKEN.   Avoid revealing cache location to strangers.  Always preserve the stamp and logbook by carefully returning in it's originally or intended packaging.  

No comments: