Shore Walkers - Lake Geneva

Lake Geneva, Fontana, Williams Bay (Walworth Cty)

Back to relive some very old childhood memories. In 1970-s, there were no posted signs marking the lake path. Shore walkers did not exist as a class of tourists. This post isn't really to advertise that the shore path exists. There are plenty of ways of learning that. But for the sake of being consistent to the Wheretogo viewers I promise to provide such details. This post is a purely selfish move so that I can relive my most recent excursion into reliving this particular time in my life. I am returning again, hopefully later after the Chicagoans have all gone home. While the shore hike was pleasant and relatively bug free (if you don't count the humans, of course), it was too humid and it the clinging haze really effected some of the shots.

This leg of the shore path starts from Linn Rd, heading east towards the Country Club. This headstone is the last remaining piece of a family plot that existed long ago, now gone. To see more details I would recommend reading my Shore Walker Photostream. It doesn't make sense to use up my precious blogger space with photos that also exist on my Flickr page, plus they don't really move the story along.

The Shore Path (or lake path as I always called it) was originally an Indian Footpath and in order for this path to remain for public use a county ordinance was set. For lakefront owners who fought the right of way, the city had historical relevance to rest upon. The shore path is unique to Geneva Lake. I know of no other place that allows unfettered access onto private property. My last visit, about 10 years ago, those cute shore path signs didn't exist. I know that because my oldest, who was 14 at the time would not follow his mother onto the lake.


WheretoFind
:The lake path can be picked up at several points around the lake:
Big Foot Beach State Park (Park Sticker Req'd) also Big Foot Beach Park same area,different parking lot), Lake Geneva's Library Park, Williams Bay Beach, Fontana Beach, Chapin Road, Linn Pier Road. A list of distances between hiking points on the shore path as provided by silentsports.net:

Fontana to Williams Bay 3.2 miles
Williams Bay to Chapin Road 3.3 miles

Chapin Road to Library Park, town of Lake Geneva 3.3 miles
Library Park to Linn Pier Road 5.3 miles
Linn Pier Road to Fontana 5.2 miles



What to expect: 

If you decide you want to hike the entire tour around the lake, plan about 14 hours, and to choose a starting point beside Lake Geneva's downtown area. I suggest the Linn Rd location, but there are probably better points but that is my preference.  It is isolated from the madness that is part of Lake Geneva every summer.  This location is also a popular boat launch, so arrive early.


Update 04/03/2015:  For the shore walkers that are still in town, there are little boat taxi's called Mouettes that run 4 routes.  These are not the same as the water taxi.

Newspaper articles discussing the history of the City's Name
It is Geneva Lake
Old records tell story of the discovery and naming of beautiful Lake Geneva

No comments: