Petrifying Springs County Park - Kenosha

Kenosha (Kenosha County)

Spent part of my weekend in Racine/Milw for a reunion, and in all the years I have been coming to visit in Racine, I've never had a chance to stop here. Due to a lack of mosquito spray and time constraints, I did not spend much time there. I will have to return in fall for a more thorough exploration.

*ahem*
There are a few restored buildings that were of some historical note for the area and also includes an Old Indian Trail at Hawthorn Hollow, which traverses just to the east of where the historical buildings are now located, is on the map of a government survey made in 1835 by engineers Mullet, Brink, Hathaway, Lyons, and Silby (cited from Hawthorne History page)

This is no camping at this park (some county parks do, only Horicon/Dodge CountyLedge comes to mind at this moment) But there is a county run 18-hole golf course, which I believe is accessed from Cty Hwy A (or 7th Street). It is also home of Hawthorn Hollow Nature Center, 880 Green Bay Road (Hwy 31) in Kenosha. NOTE: Google nabbed the hawthornhallow.org as an origin of malware and blocked my access to it. since then I've removed the link.


Because I do not know of any incidents that happened in the past with lone hikers, I insist that you travel with someone. I mention this only because of the parks proximity to the university, and they seem to attract wierdos.

What I really enjoyed was a high 'come hither' quality created by bridges, stairs, shelters and quaint buildings.

Where to find: Petrifying Springs Park is located between the cities of Kenosha and Racine, just East of Highway 31 (Green Bay Road) with park entrances on either County Road A or County Road JR. There are signs at the entrances.

What to expect: Plenty of available parking, trails of varying difficulty, bathrooms!, very well cared for grounds, unique bridges and rentable shelters and plenty of picnic areas. As mentioned on Kenosha County Park's website, this park, along with Fox River, Silver Lake, Old Settlers and Brighton Dale Parks are open from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m; and is locked up by the sheriff's dept. The golf courses are open from about March through November, weather permitting. To contact call (262) 857-1869.

No comments: