Cedar Valley Retreat Center - West Bend

West Bend (Washington Cty) ** UPDATED POST **

photo credit: cedarcommunity.org/retreat-center-cedar-valley
I was always curious about this place, and found that it was part of a HUGE retirement community that also included Ye Olde School House right on the main campus grounds (The main campus located on Hwy Z). Note: To clarify, this retreat center is not located in the same area. I used to live in Kohlsville, and when traveling to town would have to pass here and always assumed it was a church. Eventually my curiosity bested me and I began to plot my trespassing strategy. If the parking lot is empty, I would roam freely. If there is a car, I will go in and ask to wander the grounds . Once I was told that a $5 donation was appreciated for a such a visit. At times I have discovered other trespassers and we respectfully kept our distances while eyeing each other warily and relaxing as only trespassers can. I suspect that with this post I am breaking some trespassing code of secrecy.

Where to Find: 5349 County Road D, West Bend. From Hwy 41 - take Cty Hwy D exit and head east through Kohlsville (towards West Bend), and watch for the entrance on the right (exact distance is not known, feels like it's about a mile). At the entrance is also a hobby farm - which may or may not be open to the Cedar Valley public. I know it was at one time, that was many moons ago. Note that it is missing from the amenities list on the retreat centers website. For those who use Hwy 45 - take the Hwy D exit and head west, this road will go up a hill and then snake around (slow down, the turn is surprisingly sharp), and it will be on the left in about a mile. To call in advance: 262-629-9202, or email: cvcinfo@cedarcommunity.org

What to expect: Both paved and unpaved trails, with interesting sculptures along the way, bridge, gazebo, pond w/paddle and rowboat. From the main parking lot there is a paved trail that heads up a hill, it will lead you to a cement teepee structure that is a tiny church used for paying respects.

No comments: