Old Red Mill - Waupaca

Waupaca (Waupaca Cty)

I literally wandered into this place at 6 am in the morning many,many years ago while looking for a place to pee and directions to Twin Lakes Camp Ground for my son's Cub Scouts day camp.

Along the front you will find the entrance to the back and this is what I found, the most beautiful secret garden I had ever accidentally trespassed onto. It had led me to search for other secret gardens in Wisconsin but really have not found anything that had captured my fancy as The Old Red Mill.  In my opinion it is THE most romantic place, and typically it is not in my nature to find places romantic. Really.  Seriously.


Wheretofind:  Since the date of this original
post, the reconstruction of Highway 10 has been completed. Travel time from Oshkosh is about 45 minutes. It's almost the midway point between Oshkosh and Stevens Point, where my daughter is currently going to college.  FROM Highway 10, take the Cty K/Hwy 22 South Exit for approx 2 miles to the first set of lights. Turn left onto Cty K and follow the winding road just over a mile.  Just over a small bridge, the road will and the shop is at the curve, to your left.


What to expect: Covered bridge, Crystal River, occasional canoers (there is canoe launch right before the shop) gift shop with cafe, house cat, tiny chapel with pet cemetery. Beauty, splendor. 
Phone: 715-258-7385 
Hours: M-Sat 7a-pm, Sun 8a-5p.
For more information, visit their facebook page.



No comments: