Cliff Mine Cemetary - Allouez

 (Keweenaw Cty,MI).
Rarely will I include a non-Wisconsin location but I feel it's selfish to disinclude this wonderful cemetery.

Many years ago, back in the late 1980s, I was traveling in the UP looking for waterfalls when we came across the Cliff Cemetery. When we were there it was completely overgrown, and the aire it lent was one of loneliness;of history discarded, abandoned. This was on the heels of traveling through some of the poorest country I have ever seen and that is what shaped my perspective.

Funny, it was in 1999 where Patrica Hamp worked on cataloging the headstones.  Now that I am updating this in 2015 and technology has solved a minor mystery:

On the first stone listed it's written as: 
His labors securely laid in this his last retreat, unl???ded our his silent dust we ????? Of friendship ????

The complete phrase, found in the

Bibliotheca Sacra - Volume 6 - Page 222 

His labors done, securely laid in this his last retreat,
Unheeded o'er his silent dust the storms of life shall beat


It is also used in

Christopher Columbus - Page 249 

Life's labors done, securely laid
In this his last retreat,
Unheeded o'er his silent dust 

The storms of life shall beat

04/08/2015: While cleaning up this blog I found a few other sites regarding this history of this cemetery.  Read up on the history in the Cliff Mine Archaeology Project Blog.

I was happy to see that others have been here, but truthfully I had hoped it remained a hidden secret, patiently waiting for my return.

No comments: