Point Beach Ice Age Trail - Two Rivers

Two Rivers (Manitowoc Cty)
I joined the Fox Cities (Appleton) Backpackers Group, which is where I have leapt from the safety of my little day hikes to real hiking, with people even. Thankfully my first group hike was not an official group hike, but rather a day hike. An 8 or 9 mile hike (felt like 10 miles). Even while writing this the next day, my hips are on fire.


Things I was smart about: wearing jeans and a sweater. Things that were not so smart: using sunscreen instead of bug spray.

Our trek started at Neshota Park in Two Rivers which is where we picked up the trail and followed it north for a long, long, long time. My companions were Leslie and Ron, Judy and Dan. They all were were in much better shape and I lagged behind for a good part as I stopped to take a few shots. Carrying a full bladder didn't help either.


The lunging garter snake was the best part of the trip. He/She was clearly protecting a nest (I don't know if male snakes even stay after the female lays her eggs, I doubt it).

Joining a hiking group presents a bit of a problem for me. My focus is no longer enjoying being outdoors, but to take photos - not just photos representative of where I've gone, but to improve my skill and to be creative with those pictures that will hopefully inspire others to visit. I don't think I can do both when hiking as a group.

This post is supposed to be about the Ice Age Trail, and not about my ramblings on photography. I will try to remain on task here on out.



Wheretofind:  Heading east from Oshkosh, the drive was 1-1/2 hours, and there was constructions on Hwy 10 that sent us on backroads, which is nice for a Sunday drive, though not so fun when you are trying to meet a group of strangers at a place you've never seen before.

What to expect: Depending on how where you pickup the trail, you could easily hike 10 miles.
We started from Neshotah Park in Two Rivers and the distance to Point Beach State Park is just over 4 miles, then I believe we walked as far as Lake Dr, which is where Leslie's Prius was waiting for us to escape the mosquitoes. I tried getting a fix through Google maps.  There are several places to hook up to the Ice Age Trail.




No comments: