Parfrey's Glen State Natural Area - Baraboo

(Sauk Cty) see also Devil's Lake State Park

Anyone else misspelling the name of this park? It took me a while to realize that it's Parfrey not Palfrey. Not to mention that it is frustrating when the Baraboo area's websites take you to dead links. I'd rather be rickrolled. At any rate, since it is a State Natural Area, a sticker is required. If you plan to make the trip, make a day of it and get as much use out of that $18 that you had to spend (unless you have a spare $5 for a daily pass).

If being surrounded by rocks makes you a bit squeamish this place is not for you. When I was climbing around Horicon Ledge (Dodge Cty Ledge), the thought occurred to me that the forces of nature will eventually make these rocks unstable and today could be that day.

My curiosity of course won out, and I lived to see another day.



Flickr seems to be the only place online to find the best photos of the places I love to visit, and until I get a decent camera (or learn how to take good pictures, that might help) I will pay my due diligence by paying homage to the author of these wonderful images.


Wheretofind: Travel time is about 1 hour, 50 minutes from Oshkosh, only a 1/2 hour from Wisconsin Dells and 15 minutes from Devils Lake State Park.

What to expect: Rocks, slippery moss, jutting rocks, and boulders that kids will have a tough time staying away from. * Park Permit required (day passes can be purchased). 

If you are a parent and are worried that you kids may hurt themselves, let me just say that they can get hurt here, but unlike Horicon Ledge, there is no Ledge because they hiking at the bottom of the ravine as opposed to having free access to the top of the ledge. If I am wrong, please let me know.

No comments: